Friday, July 31, 2015

Cold Paper Kisses

May 29, 1952
Lost at sea

Lipstick kisses for letters to the 'boys'. LIFE, 7/20/1942
Hi Norma,

How's my gal? I'm O.K., I guess. A little tired, but otherwise alright.

We've been flying a lot the last week or so. We have had a lot of bad luck lately. The last five days we have lost five planes and four pilots. Plus one pilot is on the beach in North Korea behind enemy lines. He has been there four days and the weather has been too bad the last two days to get in to him. We also have a helicopter crew of three men down over there. They went in to rescue the pilot and their "copter" "piled-up." I haven't written to you for quite a while, I know. But we have been real busy day and night, trying to keep those guys who are down located. 

I got a letter from Mom today. She said she hadn't heard from me in a month. 

If we don't get the "hell" out of here pretty soon, we won't have any planes or pilots left at all. Those "Gooks" shoot straighter all the time.

You asked what I meant by "going wild" when I drink too much. Well, when I'm out with a lot of other sailors, I sometimes get into a little friendly brawl. HA Nothing serious ever happens.

It won't happen when I'm out with you, I promise. Besides, I don't drink too much when I'm home. Just over here, I get lonesome and having nothing else to do.

They cancelled the extension. We will hit the States the 6th of July, I think. 

Look!! honey, those kisses on paper are pretty cold, but I guess they will have to do for now. But wait 'til I come home -- 

I think we have to get up at 1:30 tomorrow morning, but I don't care. I haven't slept for so long, I just don't care anymore.

O.K., kid, I'll tell you about jets, but I'll bet you get tired of listening. HA

Well, honey, I've got to sign off for now and hit the sack.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...