Monday, July 6, 2015

Fighting The War On The Way To Hilo Island

USS Valley Forge
Oct. 31, 1951

Rainbow Falls, Hilo Island, Hawaii


Hi Norma,

How are things in Detroit?

I tried to answer your  letter sooner but I've been real busy for the last two weeks, dodging propellers, jet blasts and shrapnel.  We're not killing time now like we were in the States, out here it's work.

We've lost two pilots since we've been here and a couple of guys on the flight deck got hit yesterday. 

You asked me if I were engaged.  The answer is no, who would I get engaged to over here, all I ever see are gooks and not very many of them.

You're darn right I'm a Chevy man, but if you buy a Ford, I'll let you drive me around anyway, if you want to.

I sure would like to know what was in the first letter you wrote me.  It must have been pretty good, or bad, if your mom wouldn't let you mail it.

We'll be pulling into port tomorrow, a place called Hilo Island.  I don't think it's much of a place, but at least it's land.

My division is having a party next Sunday.  The guys will probably have to bring me back in a sponge.  In fact, it's been so long since we've been out that most of us will have to be carried in.

Well, kid, I've got to sign off now.

Answer real soon. 

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...