Sunday, July 26, 2015

Oh, You Beautiful Doll

April 4, 1952
"Hurrah" in port

Sanders' Hot Fudge Cream Puff Sundae, a Detroit tradition

"Boy," am I glad to be in port, too many days at sea make me a dull boy.  I'm a "landlubber," not a sailor. At heart, I'm just a displaced Civilian. HA These moonlit nights on the sea don't make me romantic.

Speaking of getting mail fast, I get yours in five days when we're in port, but when we're out at sea, sometimes it takes a month.

We've got meatballs and spaghetti for supper tonight, so I don't know if I will eat or not, but they might have a good dessert. I guess I'll go find out.

You asked what baseball teams I like, in the American League, I prefer the Tigers and in the National League, I like the St. Louis "Cardinals." I keep hoping I can get home in time to see some games before the season closes. If I don't, I'll be one disappointed sailor.

If you like to drive so well, you can me around when I come home, that is if I have something to drive.

Why is it, Norm, that all the girls go for wrestling? I like the sport, but not like most gals do. One reason I don't like it is because I know that it is all "faked.

It looks like spring will never come to Detroit. One day I get a letter from you and the weather is nice and the next day, I get one that says it is snowing. "Oh, well," I guess it will stop that snowing pretty soon.

That ice cream and hot fudge does sound pretty good, wish I had some. 

[Editor's note: If I know Norma, she rhapsodized in one of her letters about Sander's Cream Puff Sundaes; click on that link for more information about the Sander's tradition, a recipe for the cream puffs, and a video that describes how to build your own cream puff. Or, forget that, just click on the link to the company and order the fixings.  You're welcome.

[One of my favorite stories about Norma is when she was newly married, she and some friends from work joined the local Vic Tanny Health Club and met to exercise once a week.  Across the street from the club was a Sander's Ice Cream Parlor franchise, where the ladies would gather afterwards to "wind down." Jim always suppressed a grin when Norma swore she just went for Sander's great ham sandwiches, which actually were pretty good, but were fairly small and really just an excuse for the average patron to order dessert. Norma, on the other hand, gave some wicked mom glares as, unlike Jim, I was unable to suppress my gales of giggles over the "healthy ham sandwiches."] 

Well, kid, I've got to sign off now.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...