Monday, July 6, 2015

Refighting The Civil War In Honolulu

Nov. 11, 1951
Sunday night

Movie poster for "Saddle Tramp," ca. 1951


Hello Norma,

I got your letter today and was real glad to hear from you.

The weather doesn't get any cooler here, but it hasn't rained any today.  I guess that is one consolation.

Right now we're in port.  When the ship is tied-up the air department doesn't anything but sleep and stand watch once in awhile.  But we have it coming, because at sea we do more than anyone else. 

"Look, kid," don't worry about me.  There isn't enough peda over here to get me. HA! 

When you learn to knit, you can make me a pair of socks; when we get to Japan it's gonna be real cold.

We're having a "hell" of a big argument about who won the Civil War, so if I put in something wrong, don't pay any attention to it.

Well, I just quit writing and finished the fuss, so all is quiet & peaceful again.

If you can save 20 bucks per week, that's pretty good.  I'm not even saving 20 cents per week.

I was over in Honolulu for awhile yesterday.  I went to a movie, "Saddle Tramp."  That's about all there is to do over there.  I don't like the place very much.

There are lots of girls over there, but they don't have nothing to do with Sailors.  

I'm beginning to think a Sailor has a bad reputation everywhere.  

"Whew," we've started fighting the Civil War again.  It looks like we're gonna start shooting before it's over.  HA! 

Well, kid, I better sign off before the shooting starts.  I might get a hole shot in the paper.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...