Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Because Of You

November 25, 1951
Sunday evening


How are things around Detroit?  This leaves me O.K.

I should be on the beach today, but since it will be at least a week before I get a chance to write to you again, I thought I had better stay aboard and do it.

We shove off tomorrow for Japan.  We could make it in four or five days, but we're just going to fool around so it will take about eight days.

Some buddies and myself went out last night.  We went swimming, then stopped in for a drink and flirt with the women.  Some of the "gooks" didn't like the way we acted but there were too many of us (about seven) and the natives over here won't start any trouble unless they've got 2 to 1 odds.  So now I'm glad we're pulling out.  HA!  Those people are like elephants, they never forget a face.

I heard that bunch of draft-dodging basketball players from Gilead lost their first game, in fact, the first one of the season.  Those guys should get on a winning team, say the U.S. Navy, for instance.

Norma, you shouldn't have gone to the trouble of fixing a box for me, but don't think I won't appreciate it because I will.  It makes me think you're about the most wonderful gal I know.  Thanks a lot.

You said something about driving to Dot H_____'s house, have you got yourself a car already, or are you still driving your pop's?

If I'm out of the Navy by the time you learn to knit a pair of sox, I hope you learn fast because I sure would like to get out.   "Ah, yes," I wear a size 9 plus 2.  HA! Big, "eh?"

I like that song "Because of You" real well, too.  I think the record we have of it is by Doris Day. [Editor's note: Jim may have been referring to the recording by Gloria DeHaven and Guy Lombardo. I couldn't find any record of the song being recorded by Doris Day.]  There is a new hillbilly record out I like real well, too.  The name of it is "Travelers Blues." I just heard an "oldie" I like a lot, "My Darling," by Doris Day, I think.  [Editor's note: The title is actually "My Darling, My Darling" and was recorded by Doris Day and Buddy Clark.]

We just finished our inspection to see if we were ready to go overseas and our mark was "excellent," the best of any carrier in the fleet.  My department (the air dept.) got the best mark of any of the departments.  We landed planes, respotted them, and launched them faster than any other air dept. of any carrier this year.  I like to watch the boys of my division work.  We have really got teamwork.

I finally made a new rate.  I'm airman now, it's the same as corporal in the army.

No, I didn't know Eddie C__________, but I know Eddie C____ and I don't think he ever will get married.

Well, kid, I got to sign off now.

Answer real soon.

Your pal,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...