Thursday, July 16, 2015

Checking Up On The Production Line

Feb. 16, 1952
Saturday night


"Yeah," it's me again.  I've really been catching up on my writing this since bad weather started. "Oh," I love this lousy weather. It has been snowing for 5 days now. Not very hard, but there is lots of fog. Too much for a plane to get off the deck. I wouldn't care if it lasted the rest of the winter.

We've been playing records all morning. We have "How High the Moon," by Les Paul and "I Can't Help It" by Hank Williams, and quite a few others. But our turntable isn't very good, it's one of those crank jobs.

One of the officers this me this morning we would begin the States by the 14th of June. I think I'll wait until the last of August to take leave so I can get 30 days and weather won't be so hot.

Bad news just came. We have to work this afternoon, cleaning up the ship, but all our cleaning places are outside, so we won't do much.  We just won't get to sleep any, "darn it."

Do you ever go to hockey games? I used to like them a lot, but I never hear anything about it over here. I was wondering how the "Red Wings" (Detroit) are making out.  [Editor's note: They won the Stanley Cup that season, so I'd say they did pretty well.]

"Hey," is Dorothy D_____ still around? I haven't heard of her since I came in [to the Navy]. She used to be the most "hot" to get married of any girl I've ever seen. I just wondered if she ever made it. I don't think she liked me very much, I used to "kid" her a lot about trying to get "hitched" so much. HA 

Well, Norm, I can't think of anything to say. If we don't fly tomorrow, I'll write again.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...