Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The "L" Word

February 9, 1952
Saturday night

Vought F4U-4 Corsair fighters of U.S. Navy fighter squadrons VF-114 Executioners (V-4XX) on the aircraft carrier USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) during the Korean War in 1951/52.


Hi Norma,

I just got your letter this morning and since this is the only chance I'll have to answer it anytime soon, I had better do it now.

I guess you haven't heard from me in more than a week because I haven't written. I've been too busy. If I have more days like the last, I will make plans for burning my I.D. card. "Boy," they have been miserable. Cold weather has been the least of our troubles. We've had crack-ups, lost planes in the drink, and had them shot down. It is getting to be too much. We've been on the flight deck from 16 to 20 hours each day for the last 4. To give you some idea of how we've been catching "hell," we've even had 3 helicopters shot down. But I suppose I can't kick. I'm still O.K. Just plenty lucky, I guess.

I sure will be glad when we go back into port. I can really use a rest.

"Yes," I like that song "I Can't Help It." Also, I haven't heard it since we left the States. The first time I heard it was in Vancouver, Canada last summer.

No; we haven't had any more storms "thank goodness." I think a storm would just about finish us all off.

I didn't tell you about the worst crack-up, did I? It was a real dilly.

A "Corsair" (light fighter-bomber) was taking off when his engine cut out. He tried to "ditch" it in the water, but it landed on a 5 inch gun mount on the side of the side. The plane had one 1000 pound bomb and 4 smaller ones and the gun was loaded. Then, the whole damn works caught fire. I didn't think of those bombs until everything was over. If I had, I might still be running, but we were lucky again. None of them went off. The pilot jumped over side and the helicopter picked him up. He was burned some, but not too bad. "Oh, well" that's enough of our grief.

That place where you work must have trouble keeping girls, but there is one thing for sure with all you girls there, they wouldn't have trouble keeping me.

Yes, I used to be a member of good standing at Gilead, but now I don't know. They may have disowned me. Yes, I got a package from the Y.P. [Young People's] Dept.

Sure, it's O.K. with me to put my name on the Grace Class if your mother wants to. I would feel honored.

Well, Norm, I better sign off now.

Answer soon.

Love, 

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...