Monday, July 20, 2015

Sodas At The Westwood

March 4, 1952
Off the coast of Korea


Hi Norma,


Well, I promised I would write some more tonight, so here goes.

We're back in Korea again, and, thank goodness, the weather is warmer but now it rains all the time. But one good thing, we don't have to shovel rain off the flight deck.

We have a boy on here that I feel sorry for. A week or so ago, he showed me a letter from his wife. It didn't read like a letter from a wife to her husband. It was more like some friend to friend letter; that was what had him worried. And today, he got a letter from one of his buddies telling him his wife was chasing around with just about every man in town. 

Now the kid is all "shook-up." He can't work or keep his mind on anything but his troubles at home. They just had a baby a couple of weeks before he left the States, too.

That's why I couldn't be married while I'm in the service. "Oh," well, it's nothing to me, but I still "feel" for the guy. 

There just isn't anything to talk about out here, but airplanes and I guess you're tired of hearing about them. When I come home, if anyone mentions airplanes to me, I'll kick their teeth in. At first I thought it would be really something to tell the folks back home about what went on over here, but if anybody tries to talk to me about this place, I'll tell them to read the newspapers. HA

Do you kids still go to Westwood pretty often? [Editor's note: It was an ice cream parlor located on Schaeffer Road near the Dearborn/Detroit border.] I used to go there at least once or twice a week. I liked the place. I got so familiar out there, I used to mix my very own sodas. 

Are you going to Canada again this summer? If you're there when I come home, I'll accept that invitation you gave me last summer and come up, but don't be running around in New York or some place like that. That's too far.

Did the Fletcher girls get O.K? I hope they did.

Norma, when I start writing short sentences like that, it's time to shut up.

Answer real soon.

Love, 

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...