Thursday, July 30, 2015

Over Davy Jones's Locker

May 3, 1952

Cherry blossoms in Yokohama, Japan

Hi Norm, you little cherry blossom,

"Yep," you guessed it, the cherry trees are blooming in Japan. 

I got two letters from you today, but I bet you haven't heard from me in a long time because I've been too busy to write.

Usually on refueling day we get most of the day off, but today we refueled in the morning and have been flying all afternoon.

It is about 7:30 now and we're waiting for the last strike to come in. It will be home around 10:00. If I'm lucky, I'll be in bed by 11:00 and have to be up again at 2:45 am.

This life is making an old man of me fast.

Speaking of driving, I don't know if I can still drive or not. The only thing I've driven since we came over here is a tractor we use on the flight deck. I take them on "test hops" sometimes after I've been working on them.

I wish I was a plane "mech" and could fly them on test hops.  When I get out, if I can afford it, I'm gonna learn to fly. I think by then I'll know enough about planes that I can almost fly a trainer without lessons. These fighter bombers are much more complicated. Frankly, I think it would be easier than learning to drive an auto. Anyway -- I'm gonna give it a whirl.

"It's a deal." When I come home we'll get "plastered" together, but don't let me get "too" plastered or I might get wild. Sometimes I do. I don't think I would in the States, though. Over here none of us gives a "damn" what we do.

So, you like your "Tom Collins" sweet, "eh?" I don't. The more "bite," the better. In fact, I take whiskey straight, with maybe a Coke for a "chaser." The trouble with this "Gook" liquor is there is no use for a chaser, there's nothing that will catch it.

The weather here is really nice. I hope it stays like this the rest of our cruise.

We got a little scare today. One of our jets was hit and couldn't get his flaps down. They help to slow the plane down and to keep it steady. We had no wind (about 4 knots) to slow him down. He came in "weaving" and "bobbing." He must have been making 160 or 170 mph when he hit the deck; that's fast even for a jet, they usually land at 100 to 120 mph. I still can't figure how he avoided a "pile up," but somehow his tail-hook caught a wire and hung on. I still see visions of that one. HA

We got a new record, it's "Pittsburgh Pennsylvia" by Guy Mitchell.  It's pretty good. 

Yes, they gave us an extension over here. I think I will get leave in August or September. I don't know which, yet.

They just said the "windjammers" are about to land. I'm gonna let my buddy take this landing. They don't need both of us topside during landings. We don't fix anything but emergencies during take-offs and landings.

I'm glad "Bill" is giving you another week off. Maybe I'll be home then. [Editor's note: Bill was Norma's boss at The Phone Company.]

I just heard the weather is bad over Korea, that's why the night hop is coming in early.

Tomorrow is Sunday. Wonder what I would be doing if I were home, something besides sweating "jet jockeys," anyway. We lost three more yesterday. One of them was a pretty good buddy of mine. "Damn" them "chinks," anyway. 

[Editor's note: From the Action Report for May 2nd, Jim seems to be writing about Lt. John Z. Carros, who was killed in action when his plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire. In April, 2015, more than 50 years after his death, a reporter wrote a story about Lt. Carros for his hometown paper, "The Bristol (CT) Press." You can read more about Jim's friend by clicking on this link.]

Honey, when I talk like that, it's time to knock off.

Answer soon.

Love,

Jim

P.S. Tell Eleanor "hi." Also, she can put her shoes on, she's not in Kentucky now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...