Friday, July 31, 2015

Just Another Routine Day

May 8, 1952
Lost at sea

USS Valley Forge Model Kit, ca. 1952
Hello Norm,

How's my baby? I'm just sitting here trying to think of something to say. Everything is so routine out here when I tell it once, I've told every bit of it.

Except that we had two more planes shot down this morning, but they picked up the  pilots. 

I saw them when they brought them aboard, they didn't look too bad. 

[Editor's note: unless Jim is wrong about the date the two pilots were rescued, the incident was so routine it was not included in the Action Report filed by the ship's commander with his superiors in Washington.]

I don't think you have been neglecting to write. I did notice a slight drop, but that can be accredited to spring. HA. 

You know in the spring, a young lady's fancy turns to love and a young man's fancy turns to baseball.

Just think, it won't be long until this thing will be homeward bound.

Just 55 more days til we hit the States.

Norma, I wish I had more time to write so I could say more and make my letters neater, but when I get a chance to write, I always have to hurry.

So please, honey, forgive the mistakes I make.

"Boy," that nice weather back home makes me homesick. What I wouldn't give to be home going out to the beach and wiener roasts and things like that.

I'm glad you got a raise. Now settle that steel and petroleum strike, then maybe we'll win this war.

Tell that little boy next store that sailors can "drive" planes, but if he grows up to be one, he's pretty dumb. There isn't enough "dough" in the world to get me to fly those things. 

I've seen what those things can do. And plenty of these pilots over here wish they hadn't made a career of flying. 

Take those two guys this morning. They could have been hit same as their planes. 

Well, honey, I've got to sign off and take a shower.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...