Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sweet Thing

Dec. 25, 1951
Christmas Day

Wesson Oil print ad, ca. 1951. 


Hi Norma,

You sweet thing, how're things with you?

Your package arrived last week and it was the best one, by far, that has come to my division so far.  I only got a small piece of the fruitcake.  The guys took the rest from me, but the piece I did get was the best I ever ate.

The cookies went like a snowball in NEVERMIND.  I wish we had chow like that every day.  This Navy wouldn't be too bad if we did.  

My buddy from Kentucky sitting beside me said to tell you "hello" and that he liked the cookies, too. He is coming to Detroit with me the next time we get home.  He has relatives living there.

Well, kid, today is Christmas and I guess we are a little lucky.  We aren't launching any planes, we're refueling, so the Air Dept. gets to rest.  "Boy," the way we've been killing those "gooks" the first three weeks, I don't see how they can hold on much longer.

If them "doggies" (soldiers) will quit fooling around waiting for those truce talks to be over and do some fighting, we would wind this thing up in a little while. 

I sure wish I were home today to go out with you kids to have fun singing Christmas carols. A guy doesn't know how to appreciate those things until he leaves home.

There isn't any of that "peace on earth"  "good will towards men" over here.  In fact, there is very little Christmas spirit of any kind.  But maybe by next Christmas we can all be home.

Well, kid, I've got to close now.

Thank you for the box and God bless you.

Answer soon.

Your buddy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...