Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Going Back To Work


April 16, 1952
Lost at sea
USS Valley Forge, ca. 1950, with planes ready for duty

Hi Norma - you sweet thing,

How's the little girl tonight? I'm O.K. I guess the only thing wrong with me is I've got to go to work again tomorrow. We left port yesterday morning and that life in port was really good while it lasted.

The Navy loses money on us when we go in for a rest, none of us do anything. That is, the guys in the Air Dept. The guys like cooks and office workers work as much in port as they do at sea. We call them the "sissies" of the fleet. They envy us because we get all the glory when there is any to get.

We have to fly tomorrow to refresh the pilots. They haven't flown in more than two weeks and that's a long time for a carrier pilot to lay off. They should fly every day. Tomorrow they won't fly strikes. They will go up, circle the ship a few times, and land to get the "roll" of things again. 

If everything goes according to plan, we will be in San Diego in 79 days. That will be the first or second of July.

I think we must have hit the same storm over there that you did coming home from New York. It has rained here for two days and the wind, at times, was terrific. It looks as if you guys got out of the "Big Town"just in time.

You said you liked to stay in motels. I do, too. They are always outside of town and its quiet and peaceful. I always stayed in them when I went from Detroit to Tennessee and vice versa, that is, when I didn't drive non-stop.

Norma, honey, I've got to sign off. We start flying at 4:30 tomorrow, that means we get up at 3:30.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...