Wednesday, June 24, 2015

"What's In It For You?"

USS Valley Forge
July 11, 1951

"What's In It For You?" 1951 Ford Motor Co. magazine ad

Hi Norma,

Well, today is my day off and that's what I mean.  I get the day off but I have to work tonight and since this is about the only chance I get to write, I thought I had better write you.  You are first on my list when I write and I always think of you.

We played ball last night and won 11 to 6.  I hit a home run and a triple.  We have a good team. We've only lost one or two games.  The team [that we played] last night looked good in practice, but we cooled them off when the game started.  


Norma, old pal, there isn't much to talk about from here.  Ah, yes, there is one thing for sure.  We're pulling out of here on the 24th of July and the sooner, the better.  I like this country OK, but I just want to get away.

I suppose you are still working every day but if you aren't, I wouldn't blame you.  I don't like to work in the summertime, myself.

Did you get that cabin in Canada?  

A friend of mine from Texas just came off leave with a '51 Ford Convertible, pretty "shek" job.

Well, Norma, I might as well shut up.  I don't know anything else to write.

I'll try again pretty soon.

Your buddy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...