Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Apache Drums

USS Valley Forge
June 19, 1951

Apache Drums Theatrical Release Poster, 1951* 


Hi Norma,

How's the girl?

I'm sorry I haven't written sooner, but I've been out of town.

A buddy from Chicago and I hitchhiked to Tacoma this weekend and then hitched back to Seattle and finally back to the ship.  We got back at midnight Sunday, but I didn't have any stationery and couldn't get any until today.  And if I'm forgiven, I'll not let it happen again.

We sure had a swell time on our trip and the best part of it was that the transportation didn't cost us anything.  We stayed Friday night in Tacoma and almost got to Mt. Rainier but not quite.  I think Mt. Rainier is the highest mountain in North America.  

Tacoma isn't a very good liberty town, it's too quiet.  We came back to Seattle and met some people.  They invited us out to their home and, boy, was it nice.  The house was built on one of the many bays that go to make Puget Sound.  We drove through hills for a little ways, then we came down onto a wide, grassy beach.  Their house was so cool and always had a little breeze blowing.  The swimming was real swell.   They invited me to come back any time I could and I think I will take them up on it.

Enough of that.  What have you been doing to keep busy?  About all I do is kill time.  I'll be glad when we pull out of here and really go to work.  It gets too dull just doing nothing.  I sure was glad to get those letters from you.  You were the only person I heard from all weekend.  In fact, you're the only one of the old bunch who writes me very often.  

I'm going to a movie tomorrow night to see "Apache Drums."  Has it come to Detroit yet?  

I would like hear those records you have.  They sound pretty good.

I guess I had better close for now.  I can't think of anything else to write about.  I'll write again the first chance I get.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter.

*The poster art copyright is believed to belong to the distributor of the film, Universal Pictures, the publisher of the film or the graphic artist.  The image may be found at http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Drums-Poster-Movie-27x40/dp/B000OL61MG.  The copy is of sufficient resolution for commentary and identification but lower resolution than the original poster. Copies made from it will be of inferior quality, unsuitable as counterfeit artwork, pirate versions or for uses that would compete with the commercial purpose of the original artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...