Friday, June 26, 2015

Slow Days On The Valley Forge

USS Valley Forge
July 14, 1951

Parker "51" Fountain Pen magazine ad

Hi Norma,

I suppose you are still in New York having lots of fun, but by the time this letter arrives you will be home.

"Boy," this week sure has been slow for me, as far as mail in concerned.  I only got one letter besides the one I got from you.

I heard Joan M______ was home last weekend.  She was lucky to get stationed at Great Lakes.  I guess she could go home every weekend, if she wanted to.

My buddy and I are working hard this week.  We stood watches until 12:00 last night and we have to go on again at 4:30 this afternoon.  He is inside sleeping now, and from the way I feel I should be, but I can't sleep very well in the daytime.

We played ball again a couple of days ago.  As usual, we won.  12 to 9, not exactly a pitcher's battle.  [Editor's note: Jim was a pitcher.] 

I suppose there are lots of men around that resort where you are on vacation, but is there a good man, such as a sailor, there? HA!


Tomorrow is my anniversary.  It makes my seventh month in the Navy.  I guess I'll have to celebrate by staying on board this ship.  I won't be able to get off.

Well, kid, better shut up for this time.

Answer soon.  

Your paint chipping & watch standing pal,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...