Tuesday, June 16, 2015

More Musings On The Banks Of Puget Sound

USS Valley Forge
June 10, 1951

Boats in Puget Sound, ca. 1970, General Subjects Photograph Collection, 1845-2005, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives,http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, June 16, 2015. 


Hi ya Norma,

Today I'm sitting in a gun-tub on the port side of the ship.  The scenery over here is more beautiful than on the starboard side.  In case you wondered, the port side is the left side and starboard is the right.

On this side of Puget Sound the hills aren't so high and there are more trees.  And there are fewer houses.  

I had a good sleep last night.  I went to bed at midnight and got up at 10:30 this morning, but I had it coming.  I had been on watch for 24 hours, but of course, I had a chance to sleep a little while on watch.  

Well, what have you been doing? Still chasing around with Pat and that other girl (I forgot her name)?

Of course, I meant besides chasing boys.  That comes first in any girl's life.

In case you haven't noticed, my pen isn't writing so "pretty good."  So, you can't blame it all on me.

"Boy," is it ever quiet out here.  No sound except water pouring out of the escape valves on the this side of the ship.  

You never did tell me who told you about Dot and me, did you?


I finally got a letter from Riva G________, it sure was about time.

Well, "kid," I better sign off for this time.  I'll write you again first chance I get.  

Answer soon.

Your buddy, 

Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...