Monday, June 22, 2015

Ridge Runners and Hillbillies

USS Valley Forge
July 2, 1951


Raid on a moonshine still in Boyd County, Kentucky, ca. 1928. Note the row of bottles at the mouth of the rock shelter.
Ohio River Portrait Collection contributed by Harry Boone Nicholson Sr. Kentucky Historical Society Collections.


Hi Norma,

How's the kid?

I just received two letters from you this morning and they were most welcome, "believe me!"  I wrote you two letters, one Saturday and one Sunday, but went out on the beach and forgot to mail them, so I threw them in the can and am writing again.  If you want to get mad at me this time, I promise not to do it again.

I didn't go any place this weekend.  I was slightly broke, but today was payday, so I'll start all over again.

I hope you kids get that cabin in Canada and if I was home I would like to go with you.  I could use a short vacation.

Tell your cousin I know that everyone from Kentucky is a hillbilly.  Worse than that, they are ridge-runners and that she can't deny it.

"Boy," is it hot here, in fact, it is the hottest its been out here in a long time, according to the old timers out here.

I tried taking some snapshots to send you, but none of them turned out any good, so right away, I'm going into town to get some made at a studio over there, something I won't be ashamed to send you.  

Pretty soon, I guess, we will be pulling out of here for San Diego to pick up our air group, then if they get things cleared up in Korea, we might not have to go back there.  

I hope they do end it, not because I don't want to go, but because of the Marines who are getting shot up there.

Well, kid, I've got to go up on the flight deck now and it is almost time to go to work.

So answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...