Saturday, June 13, 2015

Summer In The City

USS Valley Forge
June 6, 1951

A beach on Belle Isle, one of Norma's favorite places, circa 1950s. Image credit: Detroit Historical Society


Hi Norma,

I got your letter yesterday and was real glad to hear from you.

I'll send you some pictures when I get some made.  We made some about a week ago, but they turned out bad.

And your letters certainly don't bore me.  I love to get letters from you and I always answer back, don't I?

They are trying to make us work now.  Instead of 4 hour watches, we have to stand 8 hour watches now.  I was on last night from 4:30 to 12:30 and I'm a little tired this morning.  Tonight, I'm going out with a guy I met from Florida.  We are going to some club that he belongs to, then we are going to church to hear some evangelist.  

Well, what have you been doing lately?  Going out with men, I guess.  Or going out to the lake on weekends and working during the week.  I sure would like to go to the beach some time and get a good sun tan.  

If this letter sounds "goofy," don't pay any attention to it.  There is a lot of good-natured kidding and "cursing" going on.

Well, kid, I better sign off now.  Next time, I'll go up on the flight deck where there is peace and quiet.  

Answer soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...