Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Black Ball Ferry

USS Valley Forge
July 5, 1951

Ferry Kalakala along the Seattle waterfront, 1930s
Postcard courtesy Frances Bynum


Hi Norma,

I hope you're in a better place than I am, the mesquito's are about to eat me alive.  I don't know if I spelled the word right or not, but it's that little bug that goes zzzzzz and bites like heck.

Beginning next Tuesday, I will be a Sailor.  That's the day we go on our first trial run.  I don't know how long we will be out but probably not over 3 to 4 days. [Editor's Note: Jim's return address on his envelope lists his rank as "A.A.," or "Airman Apprentice."]

It sure is nice here tonight.  I'm out in the gun tub again watching the moon rise.  It's a big, beautiful moon.  It sort of gives me a romantic feeling, but there's nothing I can do about it. HA!  It sure is quiet here too.  Makes me feel like I'm the only person on this ship.

Did you ever hear the song called the "Black Ball Ferry?"  It's written about the ferry that runs from Seattle to Bremerton.  From where I sit, I just see it leave the dock going back to Seattle.  It is really a modern boat.  It looks like something from Mars.

I'm mailing all of these letters to Detroit, if you don't get home pretty soon there is going to be quite a pile waiting for you.

I got a letter from Norton L___ about a week ago.  He said he was getting out in October.  Maybe they will get this mess cleared up and all the boys that want to will be coming home.  If they do, that should make you girls happy since there is nothing left but the culls, all  the good men are in the Navy.  HA! 

"Boy," the higher the moon gets, the more romantic I get.  I would sure make some girl a nice date tonight.

Norma, it's dark.  I can't see what I'm doing, so I guess I'll knock off for this time.

Answer soon.

Your mate,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...