Sunday, June 28, 2015

From Somewhere In The Pacific

Somewhere in the Pacific
August 7, 1951


This photo of 100 Islands (of which Bangar Island is one) is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Hi ya Norma,

Well, believe it or not, I finally got a chance to write some letters.  We have been so busy the last weeks, I haven't done anything but work.

I think the last time I wrote you, we were on our way to Bangar Island to pick up ammo.  Well, we got there and stayed three days and did we work.  We were on duty eight hours, then off eight.  I suppose you can guess what I did when I was off duty.  I slept.

I didn't know there was as much ammo in the world as we took aboard.  When I went to bed, instead of counting sheep, I counted bombs and rockets.  

Then we came back to Seattle last Saturday and held Open House on the ship.  About six thousand people came aboard to see and be seen.  I had to stand a safety watch, but after I got off, I picked up a couple of sweet things and showed them around the ship.  After everyone had left, we had to load cars until midnight.  And believe me, the seat of my pants was dragging my tracks out when we knocked off.

We are on our way to San Diego now.  I think we will arrive there about the 11th of August.

"Boy," I never saw so much water.  I can't see land in any direction.  In fact, I don't think there is any land.  I think the world is all water. HA! 

And the worst part is, it aggravates my sinus glands. I have head aches almost all the time.

Well, pal, I better say so long for this time.  I'll write you again the first chance I get.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...