Friday, June 19, 2015

In The Sweet By and By

USS Valley Forge
June 20, 1951

Motorola print ad, ca. 1951


Hi Norma,

I got your letter today and was real glad to hear from you.


I know what you mean by being lonesome some times, but don't let it get you down, "kid."  There are better days coming "by and by."  At least if there aren't, I'm in a heck of a shape.  I would hate to stay in the Navy all of my life. [Editor's note: There are many versions of "In the Sweet By and By" available on YouTube from Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson, to name a few.  This version by the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet is at the tempo that Jim used when he sang it around the house and at church, he took on the baritone part with gusto.]

I just came off fire-watch but "nuttin'" exciting happened while I was on.  I had a short one this time, only 4 hours.  Usually I stand 8.  

It is a swell day out here.  I mean it was a swell day, the day is over now.  It's about a quarter past nine.

And I was thinking what I would be doing if I was home.  As soon as I finished work I would drive out to some pool or lake and go for a swim.  But I guess those things will have to wait.  I wish they would start a good war or win this little one quick.  This "dilly dallying" around doesn't appeal to me.  And if you keep up on the news, I don't have to tell you that it looks like they are about to start one in Iran.

There is going to be a dance for all the crew of the Valley Forge in Bremerton, Washington Friday night.  I can't dance but I'm going anyway.  Maybe I can make them believe I can.

I find it hard to believe, but I've been in the Navy 6 months.  If the next three and one half years go by as quick as this, it won't be too bad.

So you got yourself a new portable.  I wish is was there to listen to it.

Hey, how come you're so disgusted with the opposite sex (meaning males)?  You shouldn't be.  Men are what makes the world go "round," at least that's what we say in here.  Of course, some people might think differently.

If Betty K___ married who I think she did, he was a boy from my home town.  I used to go to school with him.

It looks like everyone is getting "hitched," but don't envy anyone who is.  Just feel sorry for them.  
I used to think I wanted to get married but since I came in the Navy, I wouldn't marry the Queen of Sheba.  I've just started to live.  I wasted too much of my life on girls who didn't care anyway.  I get a kick out of you "thinking" I was never serious.  Lots of people think I was just joking when I really wasn't.

I bought my first car three years ago today.  I was just thinking what a nice "old wreck" it was.  But I sure did have some wonderful times in it.

I still haven't forgotten those pictures.  I'll send you some soon.

Well, kid, by the time I take a shower and shave, it will be time for "taps," so I'll close for now.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...