Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Celebrating The 4th


USS Valley Forge
July 7, 1951
Scan of theatrical poster for the Warner Bros' film, "Fort Worth" 

Hi ya, Norma,

Just got your letter this morning and was real glad to hear from you.

Well, this is another Saturday.  I don't know why I'm aboard, but I just haven't gotten around to going ashore yet.

I went bowling last night, then after that I went to a movie.  I saw "Fort Worth*" with "Randy" Scott. It was pretty good, but not as good as most of his pictures.  

So, the gang pulled a big picnic the 4th, "eh."  I did too, I worked all day but not very hard.  We sure had a good dinner that day.  Turkey, ham, shrimp cocktails, and strawberry shortcake, a lots of other things too numerous to name.

Yes, I remember Brother H__ (I can't spell his first name) and I believe he is right.  I can't explain why in a letter, but I could if I was talking to you.  Besides, what you've been taught don't make it right.  For example, I was taught to feel superior to colored people, but I don't.  

I think we are leaving here the last of the month.  I hope so, I'm tired of being in one place.  I was hoping to see more country.

I received a letter from Billie Sue T_____.  She says she got over her operation swell.  

My buddy who, so far, has always said he wouldn't get married while he was in the Navy, called his girl friend in Chicago last night and I think he has about changed his mind.  I bet when he gets his next leave, he comes back a married man.

Well, Norm, I hear the outside calling, so I had better sign off and go in town and see what I can dig up.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim

*Editor's Note: Although Jim's letter is dated July 7 and he refers to seeing "Fort Worth" the night before, IMDb lists the film's official release date as July 14, 1951.  

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...