Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Pride Of Omaha Street

USS Valley Forge
May 27, 1951

Miss Norma Cornett
1____ Omaha Street
Detroit (25) Mich.

Norma (right) with her cousin, Eula, on Omaha Street, circa 1950.
Hi Norma,

How's the pride of Omaha Street?  

It is a cold, gloomy day in Washington.  I meant to go out but my pea coat is dirty so I guess I'll stay aboard.

I sure would like to be home with you people today.  I bet I could really have fun in Detroit now.  I feel just in the mood for it.  

It looks like we may be leaving this place sooner than I expected.  Tomorrow we are moving out of dry-dock to a pier.  I don't know what the difference is either, but there is still lots of work to do on this tub.  

I didn't do much on my weekend off.  I went fishing but didn't catch anything.  Then, I went gal-chasing, didn't catch anything there, either.  Guess I use the wrong kind of bait.  I was listening to the ball game, but it was rained out.  That's all there is to the weather out here, "rain." 

You kids must be out on a wiener roast this afternoon.  If you're not, you should be.  I bet the weather is nice in Detroit.

I would like to go out with the bunch again.  Sundays like this bring back fond memories.  Sometimes I wish I had stayed eighteen years old, the age I was when I came to Detroit.  "Gee," did we have fun then.  Now, I'm old and have to go win a war.  HA!  "Oh, well, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy." 

Don't answer that. 

Well, kid, I've got to knock off now.  I can't think of anything else to ruminate about.  Answer real soon.

Your admiral,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...