Saturday, June 20, 2015

Twenty Bucks And Pulling A Liberty

USS Valley Forge
June 23, 1951


Service members hit the floor in 1944 at a USO dance in Hertford, North Carolina. The club offered entertainment for those serving at the Harvey Point Naval Auxiliary Air Station. (Courtesy of the Museum of the Albemarle)



Hello Norma,

I just received your letter this afternoon.  I hope this finds you real swell but I'm not going to say how I feel.  Not after last night.

We had a ship's dance in town last night.  (I think I told you about it before.)  Anyway, it was quite an affair.  I left early and went some place else, otherwise someone might have had to carry me home.

It was about 1:30 when I did get home.  I went on watch at 7:30 this morning and just got off about an hour ago, but the worst part is that I've got to go back on two hours from now.  "Ah, yes," it is 5:00 now.

My buddy's mother sent him twenty dollars to buy his father a birthday gift, but instead we pulled a liberty last night and still have enough left to pull another one.  

"Ah, well," we will buy him something payday, but he will never know how much we appreciated that twenty bucks.

I can't send those pictures this time because I don't have any, but I will as soon as I get some made.

It's too bad you don't get a vacation this year.  If you did maybe you could talk your mom & pop into coming out here.  They could never find a better vacation place than this.  

Tell your cousin from Kentucky "hello" for me.  Also, ask her how the rest of the hillbillies are getting along.

"Oh, yes," two of our boys came in from the dance last night pretty well loaded.  Some of the guys put them in bed and a little while later both of them fell out of their bunks.  The bunks they sleep in are about 5 feet from the deck.  One of them was bruised pretty bad.

Well, "Norm," I better close.  I want to write my brother and I don't have much time before I go on watch.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...