Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oh, Jim...

USS Valley Forge
July 12, 1951
[Editor's Note: the envelope was postmarked August 15, 1951.]

U.S. Navy Bureau of Supplies and Accounts poster, 1944

Hello Norma,

I better write you today because next week I may not get a chance.  You'll have to excuse me a few minutes.  I got to go eat chow.

Well, kid, I stayed longer than I meant to.  I stayed a few minutes and three days.  I don't have any excuses to offer.  All I can say is I won't do it again.

"Boy," I'm a sore hillbilly.  I've been working out for football, but I think I'll quit.  It's been too long since I played.  That game is for young men.  

It sure is hot out here in the daytime, but at night it cools off some.


The next time you see Dot H_____, tell her she can write me any month she wants to.

I hear Hannah B____ has gotten herself engaged.  I guess when I left it gave the other guys a chance, the way everyone is getting engaged since January.  I guess you would be engaged by now, but you've already been once, and it's your turn to stand by and watch all of the first timers.  
Well, kid, I've got to sign off.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...