Thursday, June 25, 2015

Jim's First Car

USS Valley Forge
July 13, 1951

1949 Chevy 2 door sedan, © 1998-2014 American Dream Cars


Hi Norma,

Don't be surprised at anything in this letter.  Today is Friday, the 13th, and I'm a little scared because I should have stayed in bed, not that I'm superstitous (don't check with the dictionary on my spelling) or anything like that, but I don't like to take chances.

"Boy," you sure are a lucky gal, on vacation in New York.  Some people get all the luck.  No fooling, though, I'm glad you got the chance to go but you're missing the best vacation spot in the country. That's out here.

The picture you sent is real nice.  Pretty, too.  I've never seen you in a pair of shorts before.  

There was a slight interruption in this letter just now.  I was lying in my bunk writing and I'm not supposed to be since this is working hours and along comes a chief petty officer, so now I'm sitting out on a catwalk.  Ha.  I told you I should have stayed in bed.

My car was a '49 Chevy 2 door sedan.  No, it wasn't hydra-matic, they didn't make that in '49.  If they did, I would have had it.  I would almost give my left arm if I still had that car.  If I had known we were going to stay in the States this long, I would have kept it.  

Every day it gets hotter out here.  If it doesn't cool off pretty soon, things out here are going to melt.  

Tell Eleanor I think of two wise remarks for every one she thinks of.

I'm really going to get the work thrown at me this weekend.  I've got to work tonight and probably 16 hours on Saturday.  Then Sunday, I'll probably be on duty again.  

Those pictures will be made Monday or Tuesday.  

Well, kid, I've got to shut up.  This catwalk is getting uncomfortable.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...