Monday, June 29, 2015

Bringing Pilots On Board

USS Valley Forge
August 8, 1951



Hi ya kid,

How's tricks? 

This leaves me fine, except I'm a little dizzy but I don't know what causes it.  

Guess I'm seasick.

We just pulled into the Alameda (Calif.) Air Base for a two day stop.  We took on 9 airplanes and are they snappy looking jobs.  Makes me wish I had gone to school and become a pilot.  I'll bet I'd look good in a flying uniform with all the gold braid and medals.

So, Maureen M_____ is chasing men.  Well, I guess she will be.  She has a disease.  I think it's called Male Fever.  She even had a crush on me and she is almost old enough to be my mother.  Has she been married or not?  I've heard that she has, then someone told me she hasn't.

"Yeah," I know what company can do to the household routine.  We used to have relatives almost every week when I lived at home.  They come either invited or otherwise.

Day after tomorrow we should be in San Diego, then we will pick up the rest of our air group and bring pilots aboard.  Each pilot must make ten landings on the ship before he can qualify for a carrier flyer.  That will take about 4 days, then we can start getting ready to go back into the battle zone.

I hear George S______ gave Doris R______ an engagement ring.  I'm glad.  I think they are both hard to beat.

I also hear Chuck and Hannah are about to become engaged.  Guess everyone will be married before I get out of the Navy, then I won't have anyone to go chasing women with.

Well, gal, I've got to sign off.

Answer real soon.

Your mate, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...