Sunday, October 4, 2015

Five Months Later

[Editor's note: After months of consistently placing the stamp for each letter upside down, signaling "I love you," the stamp on the envelope for this letter is right side up.  In all of the previous letters, Jim's handwriting has been consistently difficult to decipher. However, in this letter it is clear with well defined margins and precise lines on unruled stationery.]


February 14, 1954
Norfolk, Va.

Jim's family photographed by Norma in Patton Park, Detroit, September, '53
while Jim was home on leave. Front row, from left John Wyly Parker, Bertha
Sterling Parker, Larry Ray Parker. Second row from left: John Moses Parker,
Walter Wayne Parker, Polly Ann Parker Sparks, James Connie Parker, JoAnn Parker Oxford
Hi Norma,

This may come as a surprise to you, then maybe it won't be a surprise at all. I don't know how to say what I want to. It's like you said, if we could only see each other for just a little while, but that's pretty near impossible, I guess.

It wouldn't have been last week. I was home for 4 days but I didn't have the time or money to come to Detroit. I thought of calling and asking you if you could come down here for the weekend but I decided against it. I guess I was a little too ashamed to do a thing like that.

You were right, "honey," I guess we still love each other. At least I can speak for myself. I can't apologize for the last letter I wrote*. I wouldn't know how. I'll just say I'm sorry if it hurt you, but I doubt if it hurt you as much as it has me. 

Norma, if you think I deserve an answer, please write right away. If you don't, I have no one to blame but myself.

All my love,

Jim

*Norma may not have saved the letter that Jim refers to as "the last." The last letter in the collection is #136 and is hardly controversial. 

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...