Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Ye Olde Happy Valley

February 19, 1954
Portsmouth, Va.

Jim's next stop on Happy Valley
Hi Doll,

How's the world treating you?

I'm O.K. except for a little homesickness as usual, but I'll get over that.

I thought yesterday I was gonna be transferred, but I guess not. They were supposed to let me know today and I didn't hear any more about it, so it looks like I'll pull another cruise on "ye olde Happy Valley." 

I'll be glad when my hitch is up and I can get off this tub. Do you realize I have 34 months aboard here and it looks like by the time I get out, it will be 44.

We leave here Tuesday for Quonset Point, Rhode Island to pick up an air group. I don't think there will be more than 30 or 40 planes. I hope not, the fewer planes, the less work.

"Yes," honey, if we could see each other we could work this thing out but I won't be able to get home until I get out, which won't be too much longer. I would like so much to hold you in my arms again and kiss your lips, then whisper how much I love you. But that's not possible. We are so far apart. The worst was when I was home. Not seeing you while I was on leave just didn't seem right, and still doesn't, for that matter.

Angel, I gotta sign off now and get ready to hit the sack. Taps will go pretty shortly.

Answer soon.

I love you, sweetheart, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...