Sunday, October 25, 2015

Off The Coast of Mayport

April 18, 1954
Easter Sunday

Naval Station Mapyport, ca. 1950
Hi Sweet Heart,

Happy Easter, honey. I wish I were there to help you show off your new Easter outfit. I suppose everybody was at church today. On Easter, everyone who never goes to church any other day always shows up. I didn't go. I haven't had a chance to buy a new suit. HA 

We are only 50 miles off Mayport Florida now and the captain tried to get permission to dock this morning so we could go ashore today, but they didn't have any tugs to tie the ship up. 

I think the skipper was pretty "shook up" about it. He's the best captain we've had and he gets transferred in June.

I heard tonight we have two carriers off Indochina in a stand-by status. I don't think they have launched any strikes yet.

I'll be glad when we get to Norfolk. I think the schedule has been changed and we have two weeks in there to rest and recuperate.

Honey, I haven't said much, but I better sign off and get this in the mail.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...