Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Pride of the Atlantic Fleet

March 28, 1954
Guantanamo, Cuba

USS Valley Forge, ca 1950
Hi Sweet Thing,

It's only the pride of the Atlantic fleet, so don't get excited. I should have written sooner but by now you have an idea of how busy we are. Maybe when this training cruise is over I can write more often.

I was glad to hear that Bob D_____ is out of it now. I know how glad I'll be to get out and it must go double for "brown baggers" (that's slang for married men). Just think, he didn't go in until after I did and is out already. Guess that goes to show us would-be-heroes don't make out.

And Pinnegar is getting married. I will be damned, but if the girl is the one I met, she is a nice kid. Tell him if he can get married, I'm gonna quit worrying. I know I still have a chance. HA Don't forget to tell him.

"Yes," very definitely I remember Oscar's. He served the best hamburgers in San Diego, but I didn't think  Bob T_____ would.

"No," I've never been to a Jewish wedding. In fact, I've only been to a couple of weddings in my life. I don't care to attend them. Weddings and funerals are the same to me. HA 

"No, doll," there isn't much chance for me to get home on a weekend and you are right about the wagging tongues. I wouldn't want you to be the brunt of that sort of gossip. And as for a place to stay, you would have to get a hotel room. I would like to see you, honey, but it won't be too long before I get out. Then we can be together all we like.

I can't think of anything else to write, so I'll sing off for this time. Answer real soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...