Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Life of a Horse Trader

April 17, 1954
"High Seas"

Florida Keys
Hi Darling,

How's my baby tonight? I feel pretty good. A little tired maybe, but we played volleyball from 3:30 this afternoon 'til 7:30.

The training cruise is over and we are on our way state-side. Wish you were going to be in Norfolk when the tub docks. One look at you is all I need to make me feel perfect.

We passed the final exams with a pretty good mark. We got an excellent, nobody got any better and a lot of people got worse. So, I suppose we are battle worthy. HA  We should be after two years in the Pacific. The air officer was very pleased. He bought ice cream and cookies for the whole damn bunch in this department.

Did I tell you I'm a trader now? I must be. I bought a watch last night for $25.00 and sold it tonight for $35.00. Guess I would make a pretty good horse trader. I think that's what I'll do when I get out. How would you like to be on a farm and feed the horses while I'm away on a buying trip?

It seems to be getting cooler. We must be getting close to Florida. In fact, I think we passed some of the Keys today. 

I've been thinking, honey, if this mess in Indochina gets any worse, they might be sending some carriers in there and, if they do, I will be extended for a year anyway. If I do get extended, I'll put in for a carrier that is going there if this doesn't go. I'll feel more like I'm going some good if I'm with the Indochina fleet.

You may be an old maid before we get around to getting married if we wait 'til I get out and if you are still willing, we could get married this summer if they do decide to keep me. At least it's something to think about while we are waiting to find out what they are going to do with me. 

I was going to tell you about Haiti tonight, but I've written more than usual already and my arm is getting tired.

So, I'll close for now.

Answer soon.

I love you, Doll,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...