Thursday, October 22, 2015

Marking Time In The USS Yacht Club

Vintage paper milk cartons. ProCon Historical Timeline, ca.1950
April 8, 1954
Guantanamo, Cuba

Hi Sweetheart,

How goes it with the sweetest gal I know? Boy, "let me tell you," it's so hot here that the women use ice for cooking fuel to keep from burning the food. And there's no sign of it getting any cooler. I can't picture it being cold in Detroit. Every time I think of home I think it should be hot there, too.

I sure am disgusted with this place. The war games are getting worse or maybe it's that I'm getting more tired of them. 

I think we leave here the 17th of this month. It can't come too soon to suit me.

Honey, if I don't hurry this up it won't get to the post office in time to leave the ship tonight. Then it will be Monday before it leaves.  We are going to Haiti for the weekend and it's a hole. Not even as good as Cuba. Those travel agencies that "ballyhoo" that place are a bunch of frauds. Anybody who can stand the smell must have sinus trouble. I have it, but not that bad.

"Boy," I have never heard of so damn many people getting married and having babies. It's almost a shame. HA  Ask Pinnegar if he is going to start increasing the population right away.

"Yes," I've drunk from those "new fangled" milk cartons. I think they are pretty sharp, too. 

Oh, yes, honey I got the birthday card. It was real nice. Thanks very much for sending it. I think you are wonderful, darling. I love you. I know I seldom tell you except at the end of a letter which doesn't mean an awful lot, but I do, dear. And when I don't say I love you, it's because I'm careless like most men. I guess we take too much for granted and I still intend to marry you when I get out of this yacht club. If you still want me.

Honey, I can think of lots more but I gotta get this letter in the mail.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...