Sunday, October 25, 2015

Greetings From The Canoe Club

April 19, 1954
Mayport, Fla.

Sailors Fishing (date unknown) 
Hi Sweet Thing,

Look at me, honey, just finished eating supper and I feel fine. We had the first fresh milk I've drunk since we left the States six weeks ago. I must have gained give pounds. "Oh, yes," we had strawberry shortcake, also.

Some of the guys are fishing just outside the hatch. I was out there awhile, but didn't catch anything. Since I came in, they have caught five catfish. One will go about 2 pounds. The others are just little guys.

Honey, this Florida is the prettiest harbor I've ever pulled in. The climate is just right. It is about 65 degrees now. Everything is ideal for a vacation. I sure would like to come down here for a couple of weeks when I get out of this canoe club. 

I got a letter from JoAn [Parker Oxford] today. She heard that you were coming to Cuba while the ship was down there. HA I can't figure what starts those rumors.

I wonder if John [Parker] and Ruby [Turley Parker] are coming down here on vacation this year. I don't wonder at them liking it so well. No more of it than I've seen. I like it as well as any place I've seen. And that takes in a lot of country because I've really been around, haven't I? HA 

I'm just sitting here thinking, eight months and I'll be out (if they don't extend). That's all I do anymore. That and play volleyball.

I'm out of ink, so I'll sign off for now. 

Answer soon.

All my love, 

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...