Saturday, October 17, 2015

Perfect For Honeymooning

March 14, 1954
Guantanamo, Cuba


Honey, you should be where the apple of your eye is now. We are anchored in the bay off Cuba and it is nice right now. Earlier it was too hot (close to ninety) but now it's cooled off and really is swell.

There isn't much on the beach here but beauty. Ship board sailors can't go into town. They have a base here, but there is nothing on it but a beer hall and riding stables. I don't feel like riding a horse and in this weather, if I drank 4 cans of beer, I couldn't hit the ground if I feel out of a tree.

I played volley ball for a couple of hours this afternoon. I've been doing it every day to stay in shape. HA  I don't know what I'm staying in shape for, but maybe I'll need it some time. It doesn't take much exercise in this weather to lose weight. 

Hey gal, come to think of it, I haven't heard from you lately. How about writing once in a while.

I've just come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna like this place. We are going to operate just during the day and come in at night. I don't like that. I had rather stay out all the week and come in on weekends.

What are you doing this week? "Boy," if it's as nice there as it is here, you just can't stay home. "Boy," this is the kind of weather they write about. I do wish you & I were on vacation in a place like this. It's perfect for honeymooning. 

The guys on the air station here have a good life. They work from seven in the morning 'til noon and are off for the rest of the day. And their uniform is shorts without shirts. If I thought there was any chance of getting it, I would put in for shore duty here.

Have the amusement parks opened yet? "No," I don't suppose they have. It's a little early yet for them.

I see a boat out there that looks like a plane in the water. 

"Boy," what I wouldn't give for a boat. This is a perfect day for "cruising down the river." The water is green and real calm. I guess this must be the Caribbean Sea. I don't think there is anyplace in the Atlantic that the water is this smooth. On the way down here, we passed the Bahama Islands.  One of them (San Salvador) is the first place Christopher Columbus hit when he found this place. I think it's in the West Indies. Also, Sir Henry Morgan, the English pirate, used to be top dog in this part, if you are interested in history.

Sweetheart, I hope I'm not boring you with this stuff, but I feel like writing and I can't think of anything else to say.

I heard a joke I'll pass along. This girl had just got a job with a candy company passing out free sample boxes. On her way home the second day, she met a casual friend. The friend said, "Oh, Agnes, I hear you are getting married next month." Aggie said, "Yes." The friend asked, "And what are you doing in the meantime?" The sweet you thing replied, "Oh, nothing much. Just passing out free samples." 

Well, darling, I better sign off and get this in the mail. 

Answer soon.

I love you a lot,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...