Saturday, October 17, 2015

Symphony of Life

March 18, 1854
Guantanamo Cuba

Cover of a Dale Evans comic book, ca. 1954
Hi Honey,

I'll answer your letter I got today while I have time. We have been pretty busy the last week and it shows no signs of letting up.

I wish you had some of this hot weather in Detroit that we have here. "Boy," it's still miserable, but not as bad as it was.

I'm just sitting here thinking how silly this training we are doing here is. We play war all the time. We are doing in "make believe" here what we did in Japan and Korea (the real thing) and here they make us do it the hard way. Discipline for the sake of discipline, I suppose. "Oh, well," only four more weeks. I can stand it that long, especially if there is a chance of seeing you when it's over.

You asked how long we talked. It was ten minutes. Seemed like only 2 or 3 to me. 

So, Ginny S____made the grade, eh!! Good for Ginny. Looks like everyone is gonna be married pretty soon.

I've heard of the movie "Symphony of Life," but I've never seen it. I hear from reports it's pretty good. 

[Editor's note: There have been a couple of films entitled "Symphony of Life" and released prior to the date of this letter, but my money is on the one produced by Dale Evans, wife of singing cowboy Roy Rogers. Norma was a big fan.]

Those two Banks boys you read about in the clipping are the same ones I know. Kendall is the one I pulled liberty with all the time. He was discharged last Friday. Charles is still here, He gets out just after I do. What is the name of your hometown? I'll see if they know where it is. They are from Whitesburg. They are brothers, in case the clipping didn't say.

"No," I haven't been sightseeing yet. I haven't had the time.

I gotta sign off now, doll. First "hop" goes out at 7:30 tomorrow, that means we get up at 5:30.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...