Saturday, October 24, 2015

Telling Sea Stories to the Boats

April 15, 1954
"Pay Day"

Postcard from Haiti, ca. 1954
Hi Honey,

What's new with you? Nothing new here except we got paid, which is a change. Did I tell you about Haiti? If I didn't, remind me of it some time, it's quite a place.

Doll, it seems every time I write I have to hurry. This time is no different. Mail closes tomorrow morning, as we leave here tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow is the last day of this "cruise" down here, but we have a rough day in front of us. I'm tired tonight. We brought aboard some "dud" airplanes today. I was on the barge rigging slings on them all day. I hope they don't expect too much from me tomorrow.

Have you been listening to ball games since the season started? I heard part of the Tiger/Cleveland game today, but I don't know who won.

Look!! sweet thing, you don't have to worry about me taking care of myself. I'm doing pretty good at that. The closer my discharge date gets, the more afraid of these airplanes I get. From now on, I'm gonna act like a short-timer. All I'm going to do is drink coffee and tell sea stories to the boats.

You mentioned the letters I wrote you from overseas. Honey, some day I would like to read a couple of them to see how "gung ho" I was, but I was really "hot to trot," especially in '51 and '52. HA 

Gal, you must have the M.B.T. [Michigan Bell Telephone] snowed, but congratulations. I'm glad they like you.

I'm gonna close now, have a cup of coffee and go to bed.

Say "hi" to everyone for me and answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...