Thursday, October 22, 2015

War Games

Guantanamo, Cuba

Hi Honey, 

It's me again. How is the gal I love doing these days? Guess what!! It's still hot. In fact, it's very hot. And there is no indication of the weather getting any cooler. I have a real good sun tan on my face and arms, but I'm afraid I'll burn if I take my shirt off to sun the back.

We are having one "helluva" time down here. We left the States with twenty-eight planes. Now we have twenty-four left and only half of them will fly, if that many. Last night was an exciting evening. It started out with smooth water, clear skies and all that sort of stuff. We started launching at seven o'clock. The fourth plane to take off went into the water. We finally fished the guys out and then everything went O.K. 'til they started landing. That's when the fun began. The second plane hit the fence and our hot suit man was injured pulling the pilot out. Then one of the "best" flyers hit the fence and did a complete flip, landing on his back. One of the worst pile-ups I've ever seen. The plane was demolished, but the pilot wasn't hurt very bad. I finally got to bed about midnight. "Boy," one more night like that and I'll turn in my fireman boots.

If I can get them, I'll send you a couple of pictures of the crash. They should be worth looking at. Being shot at night will give them a more gruesome look. HA 

I'll sure be glad when this training cruise is over. I would prefer a combat cruise anytime. These people over here are teaching by the book, too, which the guys (like me) who made the Korean runs can't get used to. Before they always told us to respond as the situation demanded, but here there is a rule for all occasions. And a lot of the rules, I've never even heard of. "Oh, well," I suppose I can put up with it for two more weeks.

I guess that's enough of my gripes. Let's talk about something else. Are you still working for M.B.T. [Michigan Bell Telephone]? I haven't heard you mention them in so long I was beginning to wonder. 

Have you seen my sister and brother lately? Say "hi" for me when you do.

Honey, I gotta sign off now. I'm on watch and I'm not supposed to be writing.

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...