Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Received My Answer

[Editor's Note: On the envelope of this letter, Norma wrote "Received my answer 1953"]


June 8, 1953

Scan of Jim's envelope with the stamp upside down
(meaning "I love you")
Hi Honey,

I finally completed my tour of duty and am on my way home. Break out the bands, lock up the girls and call the kids in the house, 'cause I'm heading East.

We stop today (tomorrow) in Yokohama, then we're on to Pearl Harbor for two days, then we'll reach San Diego the 25th, and we're underway again for Norfolk about the 15th of July. "Damn," it will be nice to get off the West Coast for a while. And another thing, they have begun to discharge Navy men three months before their expiration date. If they keep that up, I might not have to leave the States anymore.

I started this last night, but didn't finish it. I was too tired.

Well, we hit port today and are supposed to pull out tomorrow at 3:00 in the afternoon. 

This morning before we pulled in, we flew all our planes off that would fly and was I glad to see them go.

The pilots will go stateside with us and get new planes when we get there. 

We had a tough time getting them off because of a 50 knot wind that was so strong it almost blew over some of the jets.

Did I tell you about the jet pilot who piled-up so much this cruise? He hit the fences three times. The day after his last one, I saw him in a plane warming up for a take off. I went over and told him I was checking his plane number so I could break out my fire hose when I saw him coming back. At first, he didn't know what to say and finally he blurted out, "You son of  a _____!" HA 

We kid him and call him the "sloppiest" damn pilot in the Pacific, but he doesn't care and isn't a bad pilot. In fact, he is pretty good.

Honey, I got your answer today to my question. Thank you, darling. It makes me feel wonderful to know you love me, too. Also, knowing you'll wait for me gives me something worthwhile to look forward to.

"No," I never heard of the carrier "Albany," it must be "Jeep" carrier. 

I noticed out relief "tub" arrived and it is the "Lake Champlain." 

I was talking with two swabs from it tonight. They didn't seem too happy about leaving the East Coast to come over here. HA 

I think it will be good for those Eastern boys to put up with the stuff for a change. 

Well, doll, I've got to sign off. I have a feeling we will be getting up early.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...