Sunday, September 6, 2015

Happy Valley

June 25, 1953
San Diego

USS Valley Forge a.k.a "Happy Valley"
Hi Doll, 

Well!! We finally made it. I was beginning to wonder, but we did.

There were 7,600 people on the dock, the largest crowd that ever met a ship in "Dago," I think. I wish you had been one of them.

I have duty tonight and can't get ashore. Just my luck the first day in.

The "ole U.S.A." sure looks good. In fact, I can't think of anything better, although it seems only a short while ago that we pulled out.

I'll be glad when we leave here for Norfolk. I'm anxious to see that side.

Honey!! those things I bought in Japan will have to go. They say we must have them off the ship by the 14th of July. Some of it is yours and some it mine. So, if it is O.K., I'll mail it to you.

I have the midwatch tonight. That is the midnight to 4 in the morning shift. I suppose there isn't much reason for me to go to bed. It must be 10 o'clock now. The watch is easy, but I don't like the hours.

Yes!! I think I'll get 30 days leave this time. If I don't, they will hear from me.

So, you are having trouble with the neighbors? My ex-landlady said they were, too. They are trying to sell their house, also. They live near Livernois and Joy Road.

Baby!! I had better sign off and try to get some sleep before I go on watch.

Answer soon.

I love you, Doll, 

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...