Saturday, September 19, 2015

If You Can't Stand The Heat, Get Out Of The Phone Booth

July 20, 1953
San Diego, Calif.

Sailors on liberty in Manhattan, ca 1950
Hi Darling,

Since this is the last day in port for awhile, I had better write.

As I told you on the phone this afternoon, we pull out tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock.

I'm really hot to get underway. I'm tired of this place.

I hear we will stop on the Pacific side of the [Panama] Canal for one day and on the Atlantic side for three days.

We arrive in Norfolk the 5th of August, leave again around the 10th for a cruise up to Nova Scotia to show those people how a good carrier operates and we go into dry dock the 5th of September.

"No," I didn't have the snapshots made yet. No excuses. I just didn't get around to it yet.

A guy gave me the keys to his locker when he went on leave. He came back this morning at 4 o'clock. He said when he first asked for his keys, I said, "Go away you 'so and so', I haven't got your keys." 

I don't remember saying that. About the third time he called me, I woke up.

Just goes to show that false teeth may come in handy when you start waking me up.

You asked about Lash. Well, "pore ole" Lash, he's "done been had." He came back from leave today a married man. 

I guess men will never learn, but he says married life is o.k. At least he didn't lose any weight.

Speaking of getting married while I'm on leave, "Honey," I would like to. In fact, I would like nothing better. But it wouldn't be any good for you. Or me, for that matter.

I would be away most of the time. If I had shore duty then you could live near the base and I could come home every night, but while I'm on a ship, I won't be in the States very much. 

That phone booth I was talking from this afternoon was the hottest place I've ever been in. I almost melted away while I was in there. 

I'm pretty tired tonight and have to get up pretty early tomorrow.

So answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...