Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Pressures of Boot Camp

11 March 1951
Great Lakes, Ill.


USNTC logo from Jim's stationary, circa 1951


Hello Norma,

Now don't get mad at me because I'm absentminded.  I wrote to you last week and forgot to put a stamp on the letter.  "Guess I've done blown my cooker." "Oh, nice." I'll put two stamps on this one to make sure.  [Editor's note: He did put two 3 cent stamps on the envelope of this letter.]

I guess you've been having fun chasing boys since you broke up with that Air Force joker.  We call them bus drivers because of the uniform.  I don't blame you for not marrying one of them guys.  You can always find a sailor and they are much better.  

Guess what!! I'm coming home about the first of April. That is when boot camp is over.  "Boy," will it be nice to get home again.  

I just heard on the radio that the first shipload of Korean War dead were on the way back to the U.S. I suppose they are grooming us to take their place.  

Do you go out with the kids from church very often? I sure would like to get a chance to go out with them and maybe it won't be long before I get the chance.  

Last Saturday, we had to jump off a 13 foot platform into water with a life jacket.  I was a little scared, but some of the boys had to be pushed off.  

Well, Norma, "old kid," I've got to go on watch pretty soon and have to shave first, so I'll sign off for this time.  Answer real soon.

Your pal, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...