Saturday, May 2, 2015

Bored In Boot Camp

Feb. 17, 1951
Great Lakes, Ill.


 Main Entrance to the United States Naval Training Center at Great Lakes circa 1948
Copyright © 2000-2014 Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives. All rights reserved. 
Archives http://www.gjenvick.com/

Hello Norma,

How's the girl?  Good, I hope.  This leaves me fine.  

Well, this is Saturday afternoon and I get the afternoon off, but I can't go down south for a rest.  HA  I haven't got time. I have not been off this base since I got here.

I don't know if I'm convinced or not but I know what you mean by inquisitive, nosy people and have seen lots of them.  In fact, I am one myself.  HA. 

I guess the roads are pretty bad, at least they are around here.

We had our naval interview yesterday.  I'm going to sea and strike for cook.  In the navy we call it Commissary.

They tell me Joan M______ will be here around the 26th of the month.  I think I can get to see her.  I don't know why she joined the Waves.  Why didn't she join the Campfire Girls?  

I think we graduate the 19th of March.  I sure will be glad to get away from this place.   It will be at least two more weeks before we get a liberty.   I might get a leave when boot camp is over but it is doubtful.  It will probably be a long time before I come home.  The next time I see you I might have a little French girl on my arm. HA 

We got our blue clothes back from the tailor yesterday.  My pants are about six inches too big, when I'm at attention my pants are still at ease.  I know that's old, but it's still pretty good.  

One of the boys got a Dear John letter like the one you probably sent your ex and it was the nuttiest letter I ever read.  We all read it and really got a laugh out of it. The next time you want to break up with a serviceman don't do it by mail or everybody will laugh at you.  HA.  That is if you are as crazy as this gal was but I don't think you are.

Well, I've got to sign off for now.  I've got to write some more letters.  Answer like you did the last time. HA.

Your buddy, Jim

P.S. The S.R. means Seaman Recruit.

Click here to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...