Tuesday, May 19, 2015

On Treasure Island

21 April 1951

Scan of Jim's stationary, ca.1951





Hello Norma,

I wonder what you are doing now.  "Oh, no," don't tell me, let me guess.  Here it is 4:30, there it is 7:30.  You must be at church flirting with the boys.  Am I right?  Correct me if I am wrong.  "Ah, yes." [Editor's note: April 21, 1951 was a Wednesday and Norma would most likely have gone to Gilead Baptist Church's Wednesday night Prayer Meeting Service.]

I am in San Francisco, Calif., in case you didn't know already.  It's pretty nice out here but I had rather be in Detroit.  

Check that upper right hand corner, pretty nice, "huh." 

"Boy," am I tired.  I just quit playing ball.  

I went to a Baptist church in 'Frisco this morning.  It made me homesick.  They treated me real swell over there.  

We are supposed to leave this place soon and go to Seattle, Wash. Our ship is in dry dock there.

I can't think of anything to write, Norma, my brain is still foggy from losing so much sleep last night.  I'm going to sign off and go hit the sack.  There is no use of your answering this letter.  Don't guess I will be around to get it, but in case you want to, my address is 

James C. Parker S.A.
420-84-07
U.S. Naval Receiving Station 
Treasure Island
San Francisco, Calif. 

Your buddy, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...