Sunday, May 31, 2015

Homesick for Biscuits

James C. Parker SA 420-84-07
V-1 Division U.S.N.
USS Valley Forge (CV-45)
F.P.O. San Francisco, Calif.

May 17, 1951

The Nathan Bedford Forrest monument located at Pilot Knob near Jim's hometown, Camden, Tennessee, 1949.  Dept. of Conservation Photograph Collection, Tennessee State Library and Archives.


Hi Norma,

How's tricks? Maybe my letter hasn't had time to get there, but I answered it the same day I got yours.   But the mail is messed up something awful here.  

I met a man who works in the shipyards here that is from my home town in Tennessee. Well, not exactly from my town, but real close, and he has invited me out to his house for dinner.  "Oh boy," maybe I'll get some biscuits, "huh?" 

[Editor's note: The link above goes to the recipe for Marc Forgione's biscuits that were served in his father's restaurant, An American Place, which helped to assuage my own homesick cravings when I lived in Manhattan in the 80s and 90s.  They are the best example of southern biscuits I have ever encountered outside of my grandmothers' and aunts's kitchens. Try the recipe and you'll understand what Jim and I were missing.]

In that last letter you sent me you said something about a girl I liked down at Gilead.  I would like to know more about it.  I mean exactly what you heard and who you heard it from.  It might just be gossip and if it isn't, I wouldn't have a chance.  Some other guy will have her before my 4 year hitch is up.  But that's O.K.  There are more pebbles on the beach.  HA!  

You can tell Riva G________ to go "fly a kite," or something like that.  She won't answer my letter.

Well, I'd better sign off.  I've got to shave before taps.

Answer soon.  

Your pal, 

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...