Thursday, May 28, 2015

Gossip

USS Valley Forge
May 12, 1951, Sat.

"TO LOOK THEIR BEST--Fireman 1st Class Samuel E. Adolt, 19, sees something new on destroyer: Marion Koopman, left and Margaret Williams, prettying up."  Los Angeles Times, 28 August 1950 


Hello Norma,

How's the kid?  I just got your letter this morning and was real glad to hear from you.  Yes, I like to get long letters, in fact, any kind of letter is O.K. by me.  But I don't get this about you being lonely.  Sometimes I get a little blue but I can't see any reason why you should.  But I guess maybe I can see your point, every so often I used to get a longing for something but I never could figure out what it was.  

So you finally admitted you are a flirt. HA.  But I will say that you flirt in a very nice way.  

So you heard that I liked some girl at Gilead, huh. Look, Norma, I like girls any where, any girls, but if you told me more about what you heard, and who you heard it from, I might be able to tell you more about it.  But until you hear it from me, then don't believe in gossip.  

The fact is most girls look alike to me.  I've never met but one I cared enough about to start gossip.  But you did arouse my curousity (bad spelling) and I would like to know more about it.  

So Joan doesn't look so sharp in her uniform.  That's what most sailors think, too.  I have never yet seen a sailor out with a wave.   And if I did go out with one it wouldn't be in public. HA.

I have duty this weekend but next week I have a 72 hour pass coming.  I think I shall go out and howl around a bit.

"Say," I thought Joan and Earl H_______ were engaged but I hear she is going out with everybody but him.  Guess that shows how wrong I can be.  I wrote Earl a letter but he never answered it.  Guess he's pretty busy being a fireman and all that.

Well, Norma, I've got to sign off.  Answer real soon.

Your "ole" buddy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...