Sunday, May 24, 2015

On the USS Valley Forge

May 5, 19901
Time Civilian 5:00 PM
Navy 1700


Scan of Jim's envelope, ca. 1951


Hi Norma,

I received your letter this morning and I'm answering it already, how's that for promptness?

I sure was glad to hear from you.  No, I didn't get the letter you wrote from Kentucky, nor the one that was typewritten.  This mail situation is a screwed up mess anyway.

So you got a job!! I guess you decided since you weren't going to get married you had better start supporting yourself.  HA!  

So you don't know how to flirt?  All girls must know how to flirt.  It just comes natchurly.  (I don't have a dictionary around, so you'll have to excuse the spelling.)  

And you asked if I had been hooked?  You know better than that.  Every once in a while I meet a girl who I think is the one, then I see some one else who is maybe a little better looking and I'm off again.  Maybe when I get to Japan I will meet some "gook" (that's what we call them) who will make me settle down.  But right now, I'm open to the general public.

I haven't heard from any of the kids at church since I came back.  What about getting them on the ball for me, "huh."  

I'll bet your new hair style is nice, but I have to save further comment until I come home and by that time it will have grown out again.

"Thanks" for offering help a lonely sailor, but I guess there isn't much you can do except write "and often."  I'll send you a picture when I get a chance to get some made.

Well I better close now.  I'm going to write Dorothy H_____ and see if I can talk her into answering.  

So long for now.

Your buddy, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...