Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Midnight

October 19, 1952
San Diego, Calif.


"Midnight" sheet music, ca. 1951
Hi Norm,

Here I am again. I didn't have any stamps and couldn't get any until yesterday.

"Nuttin'" new here, I went to Tijuana yesterday. But I didn't even have a beer. I went down with a buddy of mine who went to buy his wife a birthday present.

He just got married two or three weeks ago. 

He is the one I used to pull my wild liberties with, but the guy really has reformed since he married. If that's what married life does to a guy, I'm more afraid of it than ever. HA  An old, hard drinking guy like him suddenly stops drinking and chasing around with bad women. HA 

But I don't blame him. If I were married I would stay off the stuff myself.

You know, after being home and seeing decent girls, the things out here sure are disgusting, but they looked pretty good after an 8 month stay in Japan.

"No," we never get any mail when we're at sea except when we're overseas.

Honey, if I were there I would get you "warm," also myself. We might even go to bed?

So, them "damn" Red Wings started off bad already, "huh." "Oh, well," they will do better.

I've been hearing about the record "Back Street Affair." I've never heard it yet. 

"No," I haven't the one by Red Foley, either. [Editor's Note: It seems that Red Foley's hit, "Midnight," is the most likely song since it was released at about the same time as "Back Street Affair" and replaced it on the Top Ten Chart.]

"Yes," I'm gonna vote. My absentee ballot should be here any day now. Don't worry about not being able to vote. You're probably better off.

[Editor's note: For years, Jim and Norma had a running joke that their votes cancelled each other out and it was important that they both vote to maintain the balance. He was a loyal member of the Democratic Party; she never voted anything but Republican.]

My bowling average used to be 160. I don't know what it is now. I went last night and shot a 168 and a 194. 

Well, Norm, it's chow time, so I've gotta close.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...