Saturday, August 15, 2015

Every Little Thing About You

January 13, 1953
At Sea

"Happy Valley" (aka USS Valley Forge) Flight Deck, ca 1951
Hi "Baby Doll,"

What's new with the sweetest gal I know?

I'm fine, a little tired but otherwise O.K. I guess I spoke too soon about the nice weather over here because we have hit the grand pappy of all storms. The thermometer is down to 9 degrees and it's snowing like "hell" and has been for three days.

There isn't anything to write about over here. It's the same old routine. Today we shoveled the snow and ice off the flight deck. We started at the bow and worked aft, but by the time we finished, the bow was covered again. HA  Oh, well, that bright day has got to come some time.

I think we are going back to Japan the 22nd of the month. I hope so. It's too cold out here. 

If this letter is fouled up, don't blame me. There are about 6 guys all around me "batting the breeze." 

Honey, I sure am lonely for you tonight. I miss your big smile and the cute way you looked at me when you talked. I miss every little thing about you. 

I'll sure be glad when this cruise is over. One more over here will drive me nuts. The first one wasn't too bad. It was a new experience, but this time it's the same old stuff.  We start engines, fly them off, then wait for them to come back.

Last year, I would count them to see if all got back O.K., but this time I don't give a "damn" if they get back or not. I don't know why everyone is like that, but they are. None of the guys who were here last time pay any attention to them.

Just the new ones, like I was last cruise.

Well, sweet thing, I've got to sign off and write my mother.

Answer soon.

All my love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...