Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Norma Breaks Off Her Engagement

Scan of Jim's envelope

February 10, 1951
Great Lakes, Ill.

Hi Norma,

How's the girl? Good I bet, having lots of fun down south basking in the sun and all that sort of rot.  This pen doesn't write worth a a hoot, does it?  I'm going to trade it in on a newer model.  

So you never felt better in your life since you broke your engagement.  "Uh huh."  Sounds that way, As soon as it happens, you have to quit your job and go away for a rest.  Sounds fishy to me.  HA! Of course, I've been wrong before. By the way, if you get to Tennessee tell my mom and dad "hello." HA! 

Well, we're still on the same old routine, same old no-good food too.  Outside of the food, everything here is pretty good.   Some of the kids in Detroit have promised to send me some cookies.  I will be glad when they get here.  I'm hungry for some decent cooking.  We had chicken last Friday.  It was so raw, I've seen chicken hurt worse than the one we ate and still get well.  HA! 

Three of the boys here have got "Dear John" letters already.  Two of them didn't seem to mind, but the other one is "sorta" heartbroken.  That's what they get for having a steady girl.  I'm glad I'm not bothered with that kind of trouble.  Women can be a nuisance at times like that.  

We went to personal inspection this morning and I passed out while standing at attention.   I don't know what was wrong.  Guess it was too hot in the drill hall.

Well I better knock off.  It is almost bed time.  So for now, good nite.  

Your pal, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...